Jump to navigation
X-ray Analytical Devices - Standard Operating Procedure
- Any individual operating or using an x-ray analytical device shall register with the Radiation Safety Office (RSO) and attend a user safety lecture. Only authorized persons shall use x-ray analytical devices.
- Operators and users of x-ray analytical devices shall be provided with a whole body dosimeter. Each month the RSO will send a new dosimeter for exchange with the previous months.
- A log book shall be maintained which shall be kept available for inspection by the RSO. The log book shall contain the following information:
- name of operator or user
- date and time of use
- length of time used
- film badge worn (yes/no)
- A list of authorized persons shall be posted on the analytical device or in the log book.
- Operators or users shall notify the RSO of any incidents which are suspected to have caused radiation over-exposure.
- In the event that the primary x-ray beam is not intercepted by the experimental apparatus under all conditions of operation , protective measures shall be provided to shield that primary x-ray beam.
- If for any reason it is necessary to temporarily alter safety devices, such as by passing interlocks or removing shielding, such action shall be:
- dated and posted near the machine so other persons will know of the existing status.
- terminated as soon as possible.
- Unused tube ports shall be closed in such a fashion that accidental radiation exposure will not occur.